Not your ordinary Pizza – but this tastes just as good…..if not better! Roasted Italian Pizza-ttata is sensational eaten warm or cold. It's so simple to make, can be made the day before, and frozen. Enjoy Pizza on hand ready to go anytime!
Prep & Cooking Time: 35-40 minutes
½ large red capsicum, deseeded, cut in to chunks
½ large yellow capsicum, deseeded, cut in to chunks
½ large green capsicum, deseeded, cut in to chunk
1 small brown onion, finely chopped
1 clove of garlic, chopped
canola oil cooking spray
2 whole eggs
1 cup egg whites
125g low-fat plain cottage cheese
1 roma tomato, diced
1 short cut, rindless bacon rasher, diced
1 cup of baby spinach leaves, chopped
½ tsp dried mixed italian herbs
rock salt & freshly cracked pepper, to season
30g light mozzarella cheese, grated
- 1. Preheat oven to 220°C / 428°F. Line a flat baking tray with a piece of baking paper. Place mushrooms and capsicum on tray. Lightly spray with oil and roast for 15 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, spray a large non-stick frying pan with oil and heat on high-heat. Sauté onions and garlic for 3-4 minutes until soften, stirring frequently. Remove from heat and set pan aside.
3. Combine eggs, egg whites, cottage cheese and mixed herbs in a medium jug/bowl. Whisk gently.
4. Remove tray with vegetables from oven; reduce oven temperature to approx. 200°C / 392°F. Spoon capsicum and mushrooms into frying pan. Stir through to combine with garlic and onion. Pour over egg mixture, then top with tomato, bacon and spinach. Place pan in oven and bake for around 15-20 minutes or until set.
5. When done, transfer frying pan to table, season with salt and pepper, and sprinkle over the top with grated cheese. Cut pizza-ttata into slices and serve.
- I used a frying pan with a heat resistant handle for this dish. Otherwise, you can use a normal frying pan, but instead of placing it fully inside the oven to bake, leave the door slightly ajar with the handle out. Allow for a further 5-10 minutes extra for the frittata to cook.
- The heat from the eggs will melt the cheese nicely over the frittata. Placing the cheese on top then baking will burn the cheese.
Join our MP Community on facebook for lots of great cooking tips.
Nutrition Information: 399.8 kJ (per serve)
Cals - 95.2
Protein - 12.6g
Carbs - 3.1g
Fat - 3.6g