Cals: 225.8 kJ’s: 948.3 Protein: 16.7g Carbs: 27.6g Fat: 5.4g
What You Need:
1.5kg butternut pumpkin, peeled, seeds removed, cut into slices, 5mm thick
1 tbls ground cumin
2 x capsicums, seeds removed, cut into quarters
2 x (400g) cans of brown lentils, drained thoroughly
6-7 stalks of celery, finely diced
2 x red onions, finely chopped
2 x garlic cloves, chopped
3 x carrots, grated, then finely chopped
150g baby spinach leaves
1 tsp ground turmeric
1 tsp chili powder (optional)
1-2 tbls no-added salt tomato paste
1 x (400g) can of chunky tomatoes / or 400mls of a thick passata cooking sauce
½ cup salt-reduced vegetable liquid stock
cracked pepper to season
canola oil cooking spray
1 whole egg
1 egg white
375g low-fat ricotta cheese
¼ cup low-fat mozzarella cheese
sprinkle of ground cinnamon
What To Do:
1. Preheat oven on 210°C / 410°F. Prep pumpkin. Peel and cut into slices approx. 4-5mm thick. Place onto 2-3 lined baking trays, spray lightly with oil and sprinkle cumin over the top. Roast in oven for 15-20 minutes. When done, set aside.
2. Prep capsicums. Remove seeds and cut into quarters. Press down gently to flatten, then place onto a lined baking tray. Spray lightly with oil and roast in oven for 15 minutes until skins begin to blister. When done, set aside.
3. Spray with oil and heat a large non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat. Saute onions for 2-3 minutes until translucent, then stir in chopped garlic. Cook for 2 minutes until fragrant.
4. Add celery, carrot and sprinkle turmeric over the top. Add lentils, stir in tomato paste, chili powder, chunky tomatoes and vegetable stock, and season to taste with cracked pepper. Reduce heat and simmer on medium-low heat for 10-15 minutes.
5. Meanwhile, whisk together in a mixing bowl the egg, egg white and ricotta cheese until thick creamy consistency. Set aside.
6. Lightly spray / grease a large, deep rectangular baking dish. Line the base of the dish with a layer of roasted pumpkin slices, then with a layer of roasted capsicum slices. Spoon ½ of the lentil & vegetable mixture over the top, then top with spinach leaves.
7. Repeat with another layer of roasted pumpkin and capsicum slices, then add the rest of the lentil & vegetable mixture. Finish off with a final layer of roasted pumpkin. Cover with the ricotta cheese and egg mixture. Sprinkle with cheese and cinnamon, then bake in oven for 15 minutes until egg has cooked and cheese has browned. When done, cut into portions and serve with salad or enjoy on its own. Can be eaten hot or cold.
Shar’s Tips –
-Tastes even better the next day! Great for lunches and picnics
- Portion servings into containers, great to freeze and store for up to 3 months.
- Substitute red capsicum with wood fired capsicums in a jar, found in the condiment’s aisle in most supermarkets. Drain well and pat dry with paper toweling before you layer them in the lasagna.