350g frozen baby peas
2kg lean premium pork mince
3 x (250g) bags of rainbow salad mix (shredded carrot, beetroot, zucchini)
½ large bunch of celery, finely chopped, discard leaves
3 large brown onions, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
canola cooking oil spray
1 x (700g) jar of passata cooking sauce
rock salt and freshly ground pepper, to season
½ cup salt-reduced soy sauce, to season
2 - 3 level tbls of mild curry powder (adjust according to individual taste)
¾ cup of worcestershire sauce
To thicken when cooked:
2-3 tbls cornflour
2-3 tbls of natvia – 100% natural sugar substitute
Shar's Tip – using the pre-chopped bags of rainbow salad from the supermarket is quick and convenient for making this dish! Otherwise, if not available, buy 3 large carrots, 3 large zucchini’s and 3 large (raw) beetroot and grate prior to cooking.
1. Spray liberally a large non-stick fry pan with oil and heat on medium-high heat. Alternately you can use an electric fry pan/skillet. Cook pork mince in batches of 500g. Add mince to pan, and cook for 3-4 minutes to brown, stirring frequently using a wooden spoon to break up the meat. Transfer browned pork mince and juices to a large 8-10L stockpot. Continue process with remaining pork mince.
2. Respray the pan with oil, and heat on high-heat setting. Add garlic and cook for 30 secs, stirring frequently. Next add onion, stir to combine and cook for 3-4 minutes until soften. Transfer onion to stockpot.
3. Add rainbow salad mix and celery to the stockpot. Stir well to combine.
4. Next, in a large mixing jug, add all seasoning ingredients. Lightly whisk together and then pour over meat and vegetables in stockpot. Finally, stir in passata sauce and, season with salt and pepper.
5. Place lid on top and cook on low heat setting for around 3-3½ hours.
6. Around, 30 minutes before serving add frozen peas and sugar to the pork Bolognese. Give the bolognese a quick stir, then cover and continue cooking until done.
7. When bolognese is cooked, plate up and serve immediately. Paul's Pork Bolognese is delicious on its own, or served with a green, leafy salad! And of course, don't forget your omegas!
MP Tip -To thicken bolognese, combine 1-1½ tbls of cornflour with 150mls of water or some of the bolognese juice in a small cup, mix well to form a thick paste and then stir the paste through the bolognese. You may need to repeat this process 1-2 times depending on desired preference of consistency/thickness for this dish.
* Important Note: The amount of cornflour used in this recipe is negligible, when portioned out over 14-16 servings. Therefore, this meal is classified as an outside the Metabolic Window Meal.
Serves: 16 (approx. 1½ cups per serve; this meets most individual’s nutritional needs)
Prep & Cooking Time: 25 mins (prep) + 3-3½ hours (cooking)
Nutrition Information: (per serve)
Calories: 220.5 Protein: 23.0 g Carbs: 14.8 g Fat: 7.7 g
- June 2020 (4)
- May 2020 (2)
- April 2020 (5)
- March 2020 (3)
- February 2020 (2)
- January 2020 (2)
- December 2019 (11)
- November 2019 (3)
- October 2019 (2)
- July 2019 (1)
- May 2019 (1)
- March 2019 (2)
- February 2019 (3)
- January 2019 (3)
- December 2018 (2)
- October 2018 (2)
- September 2018 (2)
- July 2018 (1)
- June 2018 (2)
- April 2018 (1)
- November 2017 (1)
- August 2017 (1)
- July 2017 (1)
- June 2017 (1)
- May 2017 (1)
- March 2017 (3)
- February 2017 (2)
- December 2016 (2)
- November 2016 (1)
- October 2016 (3)
- September 2016 (2)
- August 2016 (3)