Serves - 12 meals
Prep Time - Less than 10 minutes
Cooking Time - 6+ hours
1½ kg of skinless chicken thighs (12)
2 x (440g) tins of pineapple pieces in natural juice (approx. 2 cups)
6 x stalks of celery, chopped
3 x medium red capsicums, de-seeded, chopped
3 x medium green capsicums, de-seeded, chopped
3 x medium red onions, chopped
The Special Sauce
1 cup natural pineapple juice, once drained
¼ cup salt reduced soy sauce
1 cup of salt-reduced liquid chicken stock
1 tsp ground turmeric
1 tsp ground sweet paprika
1 tsp fresh ginger, grated
2 tbls honey
2 generous tbls wholegrain seeded mustard
1 generous tbls dijon mustard
2 tbls cornflour
½ tsp dried chili flakes (optional)
rock salt & cracked pepper, to season
fresh chilies, finely sliced
3-4 spring onions, finely sliced
Fresh coriander leaves
1. First begin by making the special sauce. Combine in a large mixing jug, pineapple juice, soy sauce and chicken stock. Gently whisk. Add the rest of the sauce ingredients, season with a little salt and pepper and whisk well. Set aside.
2. Place into the slow cooker chicken thighs, then pineapple pieces, capsicums, celery and onions. Pour the special sauce over the top, place lid on top, and cook on low heat setting for 6+ hours.
3. When done, plate up, garnish with fresh chilies, spring onions and coriander leaves and serve immediately.
- Serve my Healthy Chinese Take-Away Chicken with extra steamed vegetables, broccolini and beans are my choice, or with a delicious salad. To consume inside the metabolic window, simply serve over rice or quinoa, or with warmed corn tortillas.
- Once cooked, portioned the slow cooked Chinese Chicken into take away containers. Can be stored in the fridge or freezer. If you’re storing in the fridge, the meals will last 2-3 days.
- The sauce should be thick, once cooked. But if you prefer it thicker, simply combine 2 level tbls of cornflour with ½ cup of water, whisk well to form a paste like consistency then mix in. Place lid on top, and let it cook for another 15-20 minutes or until nice and thick.
Join our MP Community on facebook for lots of great cooking tips.
Cals - 135
Protein - 12.5g
Carbs - 15.4g