Serves: 10 (Makes 10 tacos)
Cals: 161.3 kJ’s: 677.4 Protein: 8.9g Carbs: 21.9g Fat: 4.5g
1 whole medium cauliflower head, finely chopped to rice like consistently (approx. 4-5 cups)
2 x (400g) kidney beans, drained, washed
1 x (400g) black beans, drained, washed
10 corn taco shells
¾ cup corn kernels (fresh or canned)
5-6 baby capsicums, finely diced
1 small red onion, finely diced
500g canned chunky tomatoes or tomato passata cooking sauce
1 heaped tbls salt-reduced tomato paste
1 tbls dried garlic granules
1½ tbls salt-reduced taco seasoning
1 tsp dried chili flakes (optional)
1-2 tbls jalapenos (optional)
½ lime, freshly squeezed
cracked pepper, to taste
½ iceberg lettuce, finely shredded
canola oil cooking spray
1 cup of frozen mango chunks, thawed, diced
4-5 fresh strawberries, finely chopped
6-7 cherry tomatoes, diced
½ small avocado, diced
2-3 green onions, finely sliced
1-2 wedges of lime, freshly squeezed
Note: When in season, you can substitute frozen mango with fresh mango.
What To Do:
1. Make cauliflower rice in batches. Place 2 cups of florets into a food processor and pulse blend until it resembles rice. You don’t want to over process it, or it will end up mushy. I find 3-4 pulses is usually enough. Transfer cauli rice into a bowl, set aside.
2. Spray with oil and heat a large non-stick frying pan. Sauté onions and capsicum for 2-3 minutes until soften, stirring often. Add taco seasoning, garlic and stir in tomato paste. Then add chunky tomatoes and ½ cup of water.
3. Add kidney beans, black beans, corn, sprinkle with chili flakes and season to taste with pepper. Spoon cauliflower rice into the pan, squeeze lime over the top and add jalapenos if you like. Stir well to combine, reduce heat and simmer for 7-8 mins.
4. Place taco shells as per packet instructions into a pre-heated oven to warm. Meanwhile, combine all ingredients for the salsa in a bowl and squeeze lime over the top. Stir gently, set aside.
5. To assemble tacos, spoon cauli chili mixture into the taco shells, add shredded lettuce and top with salsa. Serve immediately.
Shar’s Tip - The price of fresh cauli’s can be rather expensive at times. You may want to try the convenience of pre-chopped cauliflower rice, fresh or frozen found in the supermarkets, a great alternative.